TMJ Therapy An Overview
Temporomandibular joint disorder is a complex oral health concern that can compromise the function and health of a patient’s smile. TMD can cause chronic pain condition that may affect the quality of a patient’s life.
Dr. Aubrey Myers is a graduate of the prestigious Dawson Academy, a center for advancing dental medicine. Dr. Myers has taken hours of advanced courses expanding her knowledge of the masticatory system. Dr. Myers thoroughly evaluates the jaw, related muscles, and their relationship to the overall health and function of the smile.
Signs & Symptoms of TMJ
If you experience chronic headaches, facial pain or popping of the jaw, it is important to know these symptoms could be related to TMD. If you are experiencing any of the following symptoms, be sure to schedule a consultation with Dr. Myers to prevent further damage to your teeth, jaw, and bite.
- Difficulty or pain when chewing or swallowing
- Earaches or ringing ears
- Face, neck, shoulder and back pain
- Jaw clicking, popping or locking
- Jaw pain and tension
- Numbness or tingling in the hands or fingers
The health the temporomandibular joint is essential for the proper and comfortable function of the bite. Damage to this area can cause difficultly chewing, speaking, and focusing. Misalignment, habitual teeth grinding, or trauma to the TMJ can lead to chronic pain conditions such as headaches and jaw pain.
TMJ Therapy What to Expect
TMJ is a complex disorder with no singular cause or treatment. Patients with TMD commonly require a combination of restorative dental treatments to fully rehabilitate the function of the jaw and to reduce the painful side effects. Dr. Myers provides personalized TMJ treatment plans based on a thorough bite analysis. Treatment plans are tailored to the patient’s unique needs and will address the cause of the jaw malfunction to relieve the symptoms of TMD.
Treatment Options for TMJ
- Oral Sleep Appliance: An oral sleep appliance is a custom designed to realign the bite while a patient sleeps. The custom sleep device helps prevent the patient from grinding the jaw during the night and protects the teeth from damage. An oral sleep appliance is most effective for patients with bruxism related TMJ concerns.
- Invisalign®: Dr. Myers is an Emerald Isle, NC Invisalign certified provider. Invisalign can be used to treat TMJ caused by crooked teeth or malocclusion. Invisalign clear aligners gradually straighten teeth and is a discreet, comfortable and effective way to relieve painful TMD symptoms.
- Change in lifestyle habits: Changes in lifestyle and habits can help ease anxiety and stress that often exasperates TMJ pain symptoms. Dr. MYers may recommend exercise, meditation, yoga, and other therapeutic activities to help patients release stress and tension to prevent jaw clenching or grinding. Dr. Myers may make other recommendations of changes that may help alleviate TMJ pain.